Hyperthyroidism mainly the condition where the metabolic rate of the body increases, it causes your thyroid gland to produce too much hormone. The most common side effect of hyperthyroidism is unnecessary weight loss that leads to loss of nutrients and also suppresses immunity. If you are also suffering from hyperthyroidism disease and are very much confused about what to eat or what not to eat. Then doesn’t worry….just read an article below about Foods to Include and Avoid in Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism Diet.
Super foods to include for Hyperthyroidism
Did you hear this slogan “Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food” The wise man should consider that health is the greatest of human blessings? So it is important what you eat as it going to decide about the health of your body. Below we provide magical foods that are useful to reduce hyperthyroidism. So check it out!
It is also known as Lemon balm, is a herb that can help to normalize the thyroid by reducing TSH levels. This herb contains phenolic acids, flavonoids and other useful compounds that normalize the thyroid. Even this herb blocks the activity of antibodies that stimulate the thyroid gland.
How to take it:
Add 2 tablespoons of lemon balm to one cup of boiling water, steep this solution for five minutes. Strain this solution and drink this tea 3 times a day.
Thyroid absorbs Iodine from food that we eat to produce thyroid hormones. Inadequate iodine levels will adversely affect the body. A woman’s who are pregnant or in the age of childbearing often found to be iodine-deficient. So it is important to include Iodine rich products in your diet to overcome this problem.
Omega-3 Fatty Acids:
If your body is not getting enough Omega-3 Fatty Acids then there can be a hormonal imbalance. You can get Omega-3 Fatty Acids by adding sardines, salmon, soybeans, fish oil and shrimp in your diet. This will also reduce the risk of heart diseases in people suffering from hypothyroidism.
Seafood is a great source of Iodine which is important for your thyroid health. Seafood contains a good amount of Vitamin K, B, calcium, magnesium and iron. Include see foods for the treatment of hyperthyroidism such as kombu, nori, sea palm, hijiki and arame etc. You can also find them in dried form at your nearest grocery shop. You can also use them in soups, salads and believe us it works best as comparative to iodine supplement.
Coconut oil is another great food that can help to reduce hyperthyroidism problems. Coconut is easy to digest and also nourishes digestive system as it is high in antimicrobial, antioxidant and antibacterial properties. It is also helpful to suppress inflammation. You can cook your food in coconut oil.
This herb is also known by the name Leonurus cardiac. This herb is known to act as a natural beta-blocker. It has anti-thyroid activity as well which makes it more beneficial for those who are suffering from hyperthyroid conditions.
What to do:
Steep one and a half teaspoon of motherwort in a cup of boiling water for at least five minutes. Strain this solution and drink three times daily. Keep in the notice if you are taking any kind of sedating medications avoid taking this herb.
Foods to avoid treating Hyperthyroidism
Is your diet working against your thyroid gland? Well…it means you eat wrong foods so check out the list of foods that interfere with healthy thyroid function.
Beware of Soy:
Soy contains isoflavones, which are goitrogens. Soy inhibits the absorption of the thyroid hormone in those with hyperthyroidism. If you are suffering from this problem it is better to stay away from it such as burgers, tofu, soy sauce, miso, soybean oil and soy milk. If you can’t eliminate soy products from your diet then try to take fermented forms such as tempeh.
Many people who have thyroid issues are also sensitive to Gluten, it is an autoimmune disease that results in an allergy to gluten. Gluten contains a protein known as gliadin which is foreign to the human body. Gluten rich foods are rye, barley and wheat products. So whenever you go to grocery shops don’t buy foods without checking their ingredient label. If you still want to eat gluten with a thyroid disorder, so whole grain pasta, bread and rice are recommended.
Cruciferous Vegetables like cabbage, broccoli and Brussels sprouts which are goitrogens can adversely affect the health. The vegetables can block the thyroid’s ability to absorb iodine. So consume these vegetables after consulting your doctor. Otherwise, consume this Cruciferous Vegetable family; cook them first to reduce the effect they can have on the thyroid gland.
Most people love to drink coffee early in the morning to getting relief from fatigue and stress, but if you are suffering from hyperthyroidism then try to cut back a bit and don’t drink your morning cup of coffee. We all know about the disadvantages of coffee and it is also seen that coffee also hamper the healing properties of thyroid medication. So avoid taking coffee at least an hour after taking medication otherwise it can make the medication less effective.
Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil:
These are one another item that needs to avoid if you are suffering from hyperthyroidism. The hydrogenation process of these oils makes the oil heavier to digest. Hydrogenated oils are also loaded with unhealthy trans fats that have a negative impact on the level of hormones and cholesterols in the body. So avoid consuming foods that are cooked in Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil like crackers, onion rings, donuts, packed food products, and chips.
Hyperthyroidism Diet Recommendations
Like all plans, below we provide an example of hyperthyroidism diet. So you can switch below-given foods with food that we discussed earlier.
|Meals||Foods to include|
2 slices granary bread or toasted with peanut butter
200 ml fresh fruit juice
|Lunch||Sandwiches that are made up of Granary bread with chicken / cheese / ham
Handful of nuts
Low fat / low sugar yogurt
|Chicken breast / white fish / lean meat
Basmati rice / whole wheat pasta / boiled new potatoes/ jacket potato / sweet potato
Loads of veggies
Tinned fruit in natural juiceplain yoghurt
|Evening||High fiber breakfast cereal
Few more Tips
- Stay away from preservatives and additives as they are toxic to thyroid.
- Caffeinated drinks like tea and coffee should be avoided, as caffeine may worsen unease; something which needs to be controlled.
- When you choose food to make sure that it nourishes your body and not just give you empty calories. So eat fruit, fruit juices, nuts, eggs, meats etc.
- Eat food at regular interval. Choose meals which are little calorically intense so that your body has some extra reserves of energy after the body burns of the energy. Calorically dense food does not include just fats and oils. The combination of all the food groups i.e, milk pulse, cereal, fats etc.
- Exercise will also help as it will improve your mood. However do not overdo exercise, small regular session of gentle cardiovascular work is advised, say 20-minute sessions.
- Include those foods in your diet that are rich in paneer as they not only make your stomach full for a longer time but also give satiety.
- Sweets are not good for thyroid patients but if your taste buds crave for sweets then eat homemade sweets like sheera, custards, puddings etc to give you additional calories which will avoid weight loss.
- Eat small frequent meals. Do not make a gap between 2 meals, if you want to make meal gap than it should not be more than 3 hrs.
- Most people consume soups as a starter but avoid this habit of having soups before meals. They tend to give a feeling of fullness and satiety.
- Do not drink water immediately after meals. Drink it after an hour of your meal and also don’t forget to drink plenty amount of water throughout the day.
- It is also important to include vital minerals and vitamins which are useful to replenish your body. So add multivitamin supplements to your diet.
- Bugleweed, green tea, and motherwort are a few herbs found to be helpful for hyperthyroidism.